What are the advantages and disadvantages of nylon ?
Advantages of nylon:
1. High mechanical strength, good toughness, high tensile and compressive strength. The specific tensile strength is higher than that of metal, and the specific compressive strength is comparable to that of metal, but its rigidity is not as good as that of metal. The tensile strength is close to the yield strength, which is more than double that of ABS. It has a strong ability to absorb shock and stress vibration. The impact strength is much higher than that of general plastics and better than acetal resin.
2, outstanding fatigue resistance, the product can retain the original mechanical strength after repeated repeated inflections. PA is often used in common occasions where the escalator handrails and new-type bicycle plastic rims have a cyclic fatigue effect.
3. High softening point and heat resistance (such as nylon 46, etc., high crystallinity nylon has high heat distortion temperature, can be used at 150 degrees for a long time. After PA66 is reinforced with glass fiber, its heat distortion temperature reaches above 250 degrees).
4, smooth surface, small friction coefficient, wear resistance. It is self-lubricating when used as a movable mechanical component, low noise, and can be used without lubricant when the friction is not too high; if a lubricant is really needed to reduce friction or help dissipate heat, water, oil, grease, etc. can be selected. Therefore, as a transmission component, its service life is long.
5, corrosion resistance, very resistant to alkali and most salt solutions, but also weak acid, motor oil, gasoline, resistant to aromatic compounds and general solvents, inert to aromatic compounds, but not resistant to strong acids and oxidants. It can withstand the erosion of gasoline, oil, fat, alcohol, weak pimple and has good anti-aging ability. Can be used as packaging materials for lubricants and fuels.
Disadvantages of nylon:
1. Poor water absorption and poor dimensional stability.
2. Poor low temperature resistance.
3. The antistatic property is not good.
4. Poor heat resistance.